Monday, November 3, 2008

How Does One Get Here???

A logical answer to the question above may be "Well the most logical way is by plane," and you wouldn't be off by too much! But, my question comes from the more "pinch me, is this really real?"

There are people as far as the eye can see. This part of the world has always been an area I wanted to visit, but have yet to. And, WHAM!, here I am!!

More pictures are to come. With 2 of us snapping photos it is certain to be rift with a photo story of the experience.

To begin to answer "How does one get here?" it is important to go back a little way. First, a trip to Arizona was already being planned. Reluctantly adjusting and readjusting a very crammed schedule to accommodate a few days in a warm climate should not seem "so difficult," but one cannot imagine! Then a phone call came out of nowhere asking, "would you like to or be able to go to Hong Kong?"

The sarcastic side of me internally said, Does a dog bark or a chicken cluck?, but I think I refrained. With the phone in hand, my reply to the inquirer, was "Uh, um, uh, um..." Without skipping a beat, Jamey Fitzpatrick, president of Michigan Virtual University, the voice on the other end of the line continued, "It will be all expenses paid by the sender and I am not sure of the departure date, but it is likely to be in the first part of November." That was October 16.

Needless to say, I rearranged my schedule - or more appropriately - others rearranged for me. How grateful I am!!! The details that bring me to this point are endless - some of the details so fantastic that it seems nothing less than a miracle that I am here. But, there is more to this dialog. It is meant to journal a week-in-the-life-of teachers who are excited about eduation & about using the best technology available to engage their students in learning!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Molly and Matinga, cheers to you from Michigan. We are cheering you on and are confident you are excellent representatives for online collaboration. Have you tried the frogs or snakes for dinner yet?

Londa

Unknown said...

Molly, you and Matinga look snazzy in your photo. We are all proud of you for representing us in China. Matinga, don't forget you owe me when you get back! Travel safely.

Julie